Time for Greenbriar’s Greens to Grow!

Today, Emergent Structures officially handed over the keys for the Greenbriar garden shed to Gena Taylor, the Executive Director of the Greenbriar Children’s Center! The day was marked by the installation of the Emergent Structures plaque which reveals the history of the reclaimed materials that the garden shed was built from.

Materials for this project came from many sources, including a sound stage for the second SpongBob Movie, our Materialanthropists Debra and Chuck Caldwell, and our latest Materialanthropist Stratton Leopold, movie producer extraordinaire and owner of Leopold’s Ice Cream. For a complete list of the material history, please see the bottom of this post.

This project, funded by a generous community grant from Gulfstream,was a first exploration into providing mentorship to a collaborative effort between students at SCAD and Savannah Technical Collge. Ethan Weyrick, a recent SCAD Masters of Architecture alum, designed and managed the construction of the Greenbriar shed, while students in Steve Hartley’s construction technology class pre-fabricated the walls, and contributed to the on-site construction.

The mentorship was coordinated by founding board member Mark Fitzpatrick. In the image below, the strong women of Greenbriar gather by the shed. We are very proud to have contributed to Greenbriar’s mission of promoting the healthy development of children and the strengthening of families

All photos by Arianna Gianakopoulos, MA Design for Sustainability student at SCAD. Thank you, Ari!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

MATERIAL HISTORY OF THE GREENBRIAR GARDEN SHED:

ORIGINS OF THE CEDAR SIDING:  In 1866, George Ash built the house that stands at 223 E. Jones Street, in Savannah’s Historic District. The house was built for James Graybill. In 1880, Mrs. Charles Green purchased the house for a home for orphans called the Minnie Mansion. In the 1970s, the interior of the entire house was covered with cedar shiplap siding, and the basement was covered in yellow pine. The house was purchased in 2010 by Chuck and Debra Caldwell, who participated in Emergent Structures’ Materialanthropy program in 2012, when the materials were removed, prepared and used for numerous community projects, including this garden shed.

ORIGINS OF THE STUDS: In autumn 2013, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was filmed in various Savannah locations, including Tybee Island, Broughton Street and a temporary sound stage on Montgomery Street. Savannah movie producer Stratton Leopold (and Emergent Materialanthropist) arranged for leftover stage materials to be donated to Emergent Structures for use in this garden shed.

ORIGINS OF THE REDWOOD TRIM: The redwood used for the shed trim was reclaimed from Carlstedt’s Wholesale Flowers on 37th and Pine Street which was renovated in 2014 to become the production shop for Leopold’s Ice Cream.

ORIGINS OF OTHER MATERIALS: The wood used for the roof trusses and roof also came from the 37th and Pine renovation of Leopold’s Ice Cream. The door and window were reclaimed by Southern Pine Company from buildings in Savannah.

Post a comment