Thrive Outdoor Eating Area

When Thrive Carry Out Cafe, 1 of only 2 certified green restaurants in the entire state of Georgia set up shop in a small stripmall in Savannah, Emergent Structures helped plant a green flag squarely in the middle of this dilapidated symbol of car-centric America by supplying guidance, manpower and 98% of the materials for an outdoor eating area outside the front door of the restaurant. That 98% of materials came from two sites we have been working on, and the other 2% was hardware. This project, part of a much larger initiative by several SCAD Design for Sustainability classes, also showcased a great collaboration between Emergent Structures and USGBC-Savannah’s Emerging Professionals, who provide much of the labor and the logistical support for the on-site construction. A plaque that describes the history of the materials hangs behind the eating area, informing everyone of the value of reclaimed materials.

Communication Arts coverage is here.

Savannah Morning News coverage is here, here, and…here. Connect Savannah’s coverage is here.

Our coverage is here, here, here, and…here. And a great little film short on the project is here.